Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Joy of the Lord is my strength!

As I was laying on the couch a few weeks ago, post oral surgery, I suddenly realized I had absolutely NO aches or pains anywhere in my body, and for a 50-year-old, that's pretty amazing! Additionally, I felt total benevolence toward everyone (ain't that an achievement?!), even the individuals in my life that normally "sharpen my iron." I was puzzled, until I remembered the prescription narcotics I had gulped down earlier that evening. I thought, "I really could get used to this blissful Nirvana!" I began to wonder if the Doc would grant me a life prescription. My heavenly state reminded me of another time I had experienced that same celestial mood several years ago post-surgery; the anesthesia high was so comfortable, I felt cheated when it wore off. I remember thinking, "no wonder drug addiction exists in this world!" My mood was so temporarily perfect (except the fact that the side effects were laziness and disinterest in the needs of others) it started to scare me. I seriously worried that I might already be addicted, after just one dose! I couldn't worry for more than about five seconds, however, and I happily enjoyed the bliss for the next couple of hours.

Later that evening, when the effects wore off, I mused that someday I WILL legitimately experience that euphoric state, only this time in heaven: perfect peace and happiness, no harmful or addictive drugs necessary. Meanwhile, however, I have to go about life with its annoying aches, pains, tragedies, accidents, emotional hurts, stressful situations and all, and somehow find meaning and JOY. From merriam-webster.com, joy = "the emotion evoked by well-being, success, or good fortune or by the prospect of possessing what one desires: delight." I pondered the "possessing what one desires" part. In most cases, that possession is temporal-most things we desire either turn out to be disappointing and/or temporary. The one thing that eternally lasts, however, is a relationship with Jesus Christ. In HIM is fullness of joy (Psalms 16:11). True, lasting joy can only result from a relationship with Christ, period. Sure, those who don't know Him experience seasons of happiness and contentment, even in their love relationships, but those periods don't endure, and the only way to KNOW joy is to KNOW Him, and to know that my life is not just about pursuing happiness, entertainment, success, romantic love, and/or prosperity, because those things are not guaranteed OR eternal. Without them, can I still have joy? The Word commands us to "Be joyful always" (1 Thess. 5:16). This implies we have a choice whether or not to choose joy.

I don't know about you, but I have encountered (and confess that at times have been one myself) totally joyless, sour christians who act as if they have been dealt a bad hand in life. Guess what? Sour Christians poison the gospel, rarely save the lost, heal the sick, or encourage the hurting. Who wants to join that morose team? They are weighed down with the cares of the world and the feeling they've been somehow shortchanged. Really? Where do we get the selfish notion it's about us? The Apostle Paul was beaten, shipwrecked, imprisoned, etc. HE. Still. Had. Joy. Singing in prison-what a concept! He said that "to live is Christ, and to die is gain!" (Phil. 1:21) Crazy man!

 First Thessalonians continues the joy theme in verses 17-18, "give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus." To refuse to have joy is disobedience. It is to spit in the face of God and say, "Your will for me stinks, Mr. Almighty." That attitude should cause us to tremble in Holy fear. Who are we, the clay pots, to say to God, the All-Powerful Potter, "You made me wrong, placed me in the wrong setting, or withheld blessings from me?" God's answer to us then is, "Woe to those who go to great depths to hide their plans from the LORD, who do their work in darkness and think, 'Who sees us? Who will know?' You turn things upside down, as if the potter were thought to be like the clay! Shall what is formed say to the one who formed it, 'You did not make me'? Can the pot say to the potter, 'You know nothing'?" (Isaiah 29:15-16).

 So then if we're commanded to CHOOSE joy, how do we go about that? Acts 2:28 says, "You have made known to me the paths of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence." Acts 13:52 states, "And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit." Acts 14:17b says, "he provides you with plenty of food and fills your hearts with joy." Then in the book of Romans: (14:17) "For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit" (emphasis mine), and (15:13) "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." And Nehemiah 8:10 says: “The Joy of the Lord is my strength.” I could go on, but suffice to say, that when we are FILLED with the Spirit, we will have joy. When we obey God, CHOOSE to trust HIM, and ASK for the infilling of the Holy Spirit, we will experience joy. FOR THE FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT IS: "love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness and self-control." (Galations 5:22-23). So let's all get fruity!

2 comments:

  1. When I think of the word fruity, I think of things like Fruit Loops, Fruity Stripe gum, gummy fruit snacks but never Christians! I am not sure I can handle being called a fruity Christian, although I do want to be fruity. Authentically so. Definately not the fake kind like a fruit loop for example. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aptly put...thank you for the "Pearls"

    ReplyDelete