Thursday, September 13, 2012

Why I am a Political Conservative

Contrary to what you may believe, I was raised by staunch liberals.  My paternal grandparents, who had a huge influence on my life, were likewise liberals.  It wasn't until I was 25, and a friend asked me, "why are you a liberal?" that I realized I didn't know. So I did some research and looked at both the left and right for their beliefs and tenants and found that, lo and behold, I supported Conservative views.
I list them here in no particular order of importance except for number one!

1. The right to LIFE as promised by our constitution.  The inherent value of each human being's life, regardless of age.  Liberals have no regard for the unborn. I cannot tolerate this. It is murder to take the life of ANYONE, including the newly conceived (my only exception to this-see #9). The fact of the matter is that sex often results in conception, so to try and circumvent that fact and erase the consequences is not only heinous, but ridiculous.  If you jump in front of a car you will most likely be killed. If you have sex, you most likely will conceive a child. Get over it.  I will NEVER vote for a pro-choice candidate, ever.

2. The rights of non-human living things should never supersede the rights of human beings. Don't get me wrong, I totally believe we should be good stewards of the earth and of living things; way too little concern has been shown to preserving our environmental heritage, BUT we people are created in the image of God, and the rest of the natural world exists for our use and delight.  We don't, however, have the right to abuse and eradicate anything (except maybe horseflies).

3. Social programs for the most part do not work.  Don't give a man a fish, TEACH him how to fish. I believe in helping the truly needy, but this has gone WAY too far.   There are consequences to laziness and bodily abuse.  If you are on the street because you are a bum, you will suffer. Get a job. Not everyone on the street is mentally ill. The government is not your sugar daddy.   Thank you.

4.  Those who have initiative should not have to pay for those who don't.  The Robin Hood philosophy is crap.  Leveling the playing field is also crap.  Our Constitution guarantees us the right to "life, liberty and the PURSUIT of happiness."

5.  Families have the right to educate their own children as they see fit. They do not need the government to intervene.  It does not take a village to raise a child.  I hate that saying.

6. Americans need to be loyal to America and Americans, first and foremost.  Just as you should be more loyal to your family and household than the surrounding neighborhood.  This is our country, paid for by the blood of our people.  This isn't to say America's leadership hasn't made serious mistakes, but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. If an American cannot be loyal to America, I really think he/she should move elsewhere :).

7. Our military must be strong to protect our country, as there are many haters in this world, those with absolutely no compunction against using terrorism against our country (remember 9/11?). Terrorists should be shot.

8. I do not totally agree with everything the Republican party stands for, but by jingo, it definitely comes far closer to my strongly held beliefs than does the Democratic party, hence that is how I always vote.  I don't think our country is ready for a third party, so I don't waste my vote on Independent or Libertarian candidates.

9. I believe in the death penalty. Charles Manson should have been executed LONG ago, and I'm glad Hitler is dead.  Some crimes are so heinous, the only answer for them is execution.  If they go to Hell, that is not my problem.

10.  Right and wrong does exist.  Morality isn't spongy.

11. Our country was founded on Christianity.  While everyone has the freedom to choose what to believe, Christianity should not be slammed by those in places of leadership, the media, or for entertainment.  Notice how other non-Judeo-Christian religions are protected by mainstream thinking...have you ever wondered why that is?  Try slamming Muslims or Hindus and see what sort of fall-out you get.

12. The Constitution should not be messed with, period. For example, I have the right to own and bear arms.  Thank God I live in Montana!

There are undoubtedly more reasons I'm a conservative, but that's all I can think of for now. [An interesting side note: 3.5 of my liberal parents' 4 children are conservatives :)]

For an awesome article, check out:
http://townhall.com/columnists/johnhawkins/2008/03/14/why_i_am_a_conservative




No comments:

Post a Comment