Sunday, October 21, 2012

Living Like We Mean It.

I just got back from a Washington funeral for a young friend, taken from us at the tender age of 18. It brought home the reality that none of us knows how long we have left on this planet, how long we're here to grace the world with our lives. I'm not being facetious or arrogant, but speaking the truth: We ARE fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14); we are workmanships of our Creator, thus we are precious and necessary, but our days as as grass: short and unknown.

 Ephesians 2:10 says: "For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." So we are powerfully created and wonderfully equipped, yet here for such a brief time; some of us even briefer.

Psalm 103:15-16 reads "As for man, his days are like grass, he flourishes like a flower of the field; the wind blows over it and it is gone, and its place remembers it no more."

 Rather than be depressed about life's brevity, Jason Gray puts it like this in the song, "Good to be Alive:"

Hold on Is this really the life I'm living? 
Cause I don't feel like I deserve it 
Every day that I wake, 
Every breath that I take You've given 

 I wanna live like there's no tomorrow 
Love like I'm on borrowed time 
It's good to be alive I won't take it for granted 

I won't waste another second 
All I want is to give you 
A life well lived, to say "thank You...thank You"

Jesus gave us the great commission in Matthew 28: "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Here's to not wasting another second.

Dedicated to Taylor Stacy:  "Good to be Alive" ...A man who lived like there was tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment