Saturday, August 18, 2012

How we know we are loved...

This morning, as I played my guitar worshiping the Lord, I was stunned by this simple revelation: He loves me.  WHAT?  Is that what you came up with Peggy?  Really?  I knew that.  No, listen, HE loves YOU.  The GREAT I AM. The CREATOR of the vast universe.  The ALPHA and OMEGA. The EVERLASTING FATHER.

Then, the words to the song I was playing penetrated my heart:

"You are and You were and You will be forever The Lover I need to save me;
You fashioned the earth and You hold it together, God So hold me now..."
(Bebo Norman's "I Will Lift My Eyes")

LOVE...vast, unmeasurable, infinite love.  I wept as I played and sang.

Here's the deal, however: we are so tainted by imperfect love that we can't even feel HIS perfect love. Love, to us, should have a different face.  It should solve all our problems and give us everything we want.  It should be shallow and quick-fixing, bailing us out of the consequences of our sin.  In short, we look for human love, marred by sin and selfishness, so when we encounter the PERFECT love of Jesus, we don't recognize it for the amazing gift it is.

"God, my God, I cry out:
Your beloved needs You now
God, be near; calm my fear
... And take my doubt
Your kindness is what pulls me up
Your love is all that draws me in"


He. Is. Kind.  Not always the kindness we recognize, however. The kindness we recognize is too much cake when we're sad or buying a new gadget when we're restless or bored. 

We need to sit and soak in Him and learn what true kindness and love is...the quality of which can't be experienced unless we let go of our preconceptions and control and RECEIVE what He has to give us.  Hard for a doer like me; hard for the Marthas of this world, female and male alike.

Go into a room, alone, and sit, kneel, or lie and receive His love.  I dare you.

"I will lift my eyes to the Maker
Of the mountains I can't climb
I will lift my eyes to the Calmer
Of the oceans raging wild
I will lift my eyes to the Healer
Of the hurt I hold inside
I will lift my eyes, lift my eyes to You"








No comments:

Post a Comment