Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Sacrifice

The story of the Abraham's testing found in Genesis 22:1-19 has always disturbed me. Not only does God here seem like an evil pagan deity demanding human sacrifice, but He seems like a reneger: promising Abraham something wonderful, yet after YEARS of waiting to give him the promised son, He cruelly demands him back. I cringe at this story, and subsequently have jammed it (along with the story of Job) into one of my imaginary drawers -a drawer I label, "bad bible stories to avoid."

The other morning, however, when I was praying for direction and wisdom, this story popped into my head. Rather than allowing myself to suspect God of a dark side, I patiently waited for revelation. And here's what I realized: Abraham had some past issues with his character; to be blunt, he acted like a weasel on at least three occasions in his past. Twice he attempted to pass his wife off as his sister in order to protect himself, even though she could have been sexually compromised or even raped, and then he passively agreed to sleep with his wife's servant in order to conceive the promised child. These failings pointed to a lack of faith, loyalty and trust in God.

The Lord designed a trial for Abraham-not for God's peace of mind (he KNEW how Abraham would respond, He's GOD, after all), but to reveal to Abraham his own heart. He proved himself, to himself, that he would obey God at all costs; he would not waver, even when God didn't make sense or seemed cruel, demanding the one thing Abraham had prayed and longed for, the promise fulfilled, and now demanded back. Abraham is recorded in scripture as "the friend of God" and "the father of all those who believe, not the coward, manipulator or wife-betrayer he had been.

The apostle Peter too was tested. During his test, he denied Christ THREE times, exactly as Jesus prophesied he would. This hothead even denied to Jesus' face that he would deny! So he failed his test, but the results of that failure broke his heart. He became a new person that day, a man of power, one who boldly preached the gospel, healed the sick and raised the dead- a rock of the early church. His loyalty to Christ eventually led him to a martyr's crucifixion.

So I don't hate the Isaac near-sacrifice story any longer. Abraham's test proved his mettle, and though I can't help but think Isaac would have been scarred for life after this incident, I also think he would have been amazed by his father's faith in action-faith that trusts God to come through no matter how impossible the circumstances.

I have always thought I would have failed Abraham's test. My children (and now my grandchildren), have always been the greatest joy of my life. I think I would have had to slit my own throat just to escape God's command! Thank God I'm not Abraham. I may not need THAT test (please, God!). I most likely need some other test-a test designed for me-designed to show me what I'm made of. I'm sure I would be depressed by my vast failings, but maybe I would be pleasantly surprised at hidden strength. I want to be like Abraham-one who trusts God and has no other person, place or thing that takes precedence over my Lord. I want to lay down my life to answer His call, with nothing standing in the way of my passion and love for Him. I also want to be like Peter-one whose personal failings drive him to change-to transform him into the person God called and equipped him to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment