Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Deep Calls to Deep



"Deep calls unto deep
In the roar of Your waterfalls;
All your waves and breakers
Have Swept over me

Psalm 42:7 thoroughly captures my imagination: the depth of God calling out the spiritual truths He placed deep inside me from the time of my conception. This verse stirs up hope and an unnamed longing...that one day I'll fully understand the wonder of my created being and the victory over brokenness that Jesus obtained on the cross. That this realization will finally overpower my small thinking, and I'll fully grasp what it means to be a new creation in Christ: dead to sin and fully alive to His astonishing destiny for me!


Romans 6 says it so powerfully:

"...We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer?... We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life. For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin— Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him. In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires. Do not offer any part of yourself to sin as an instrument of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer every part of yourself to him as an instrument of righteousness. For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace." (Romans 6:2,4,6,8,11-14).


Also 1 Corinthians 2:9:

'But, as it is written, “What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him,”' (referencing Isaiah 64:4).


What if we could truly grasp what it means to be dead to sin and fully alive in Christ? What if we could fully comprehend our Kingdom destiny? To live in absolute grace and freedom-to apprehend the love of Christ and make it known every moment of our lives? I think we would be either collapse on the floor in utter bliss or the world would be saved in a day!


I prayed this prayer today: Remove the scales from my eyes, oh Lord, and let me comprehend my true power and potential to be an ambassador for Your Kingdom. Let me sink below the surf and waves and rest in the calm of Your loving presence. Deliver me from myself and the slavery of living according to the world's standards and values. Give me great courage, joy and wisdom to walk with You every moment of my life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment