Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Fill That Soul-Sucking Hole

I've been thinking. Well, I'm always thinking; my mind is a bionic hamster running on a wheel, a creature who never tires or stops. I need to tranquilize that little bugger...but anyway, I've been thinking.


What have I been thinking? Glad you asked! I have been thinking about how many of us, me included, destroy our lives through our choices, and even though our choices are slowly (or quickly) killing us, we continue down the road of self destruction. I prayed about this and had an aha moment.

We do this because our connection with God, the creator of our souls and only One who can truly satisfy us, is weak to nonexistent. When we neglect that connection, our souls turn to false gods to try and satisfy the ache within. We use other things in place of God, things that have no ability to satisfy the deep yearning that gapes within.


That yearning or holy desire was placed within us in order to ensure that we turn to God; that we commune with Him, as believe it or not, we were first and foremost designed to be spiritual beings. When we ignore or tamp down our spiritual side, filling it up with physical or emotional products only, the spiritual side cries out until we can't stand it and we frantically stuff more food, alcohol, sex, drugs, material things, success, fame, busyness...whatever we can find to take the edge of the hunger. But. it. doesn't. work.


It doesn't work because the clamoring spiritual part of us can only be satisfied SPIRITUALLY. So we go through life addicted to so many unsatisfying and potentially destructive things because we neglect to see that what we need is Jesus, period. Nothing else will satisfy because we were created in the image of God, and designed to only find our true satisfaction in Him. Bible verses confirming this:


Psalm 16:11 "You make known to me the path of life;

you will fill me with joy in your presence,
with eternal pleasures at your right hand."


Isaiah 58:11 "The Lord will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land
and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail"


Romans 15:13 "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit"


John 4:14: "But whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”


I then asked the Lord the practical question: How do we connect with Him?And I spent the next half hour in blissful connection as He met me and filled me, and I felt fully satisfied, as if I had no other needs at all. That is the secret. To stop and seek. To set our minds on Him and let Him meet us there. He is faithful and will fill us with good things-all that we need.


Matthew 6:31-34 "Do not worry then, saying, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear?’ For the unbelievers eagerly seek all these things; and your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

No comments:

Post a Comment